Monday, June 9, 2014

Entering the Adult Life

Hello, it's been a long, long time since I've written here. Sometimes throughout the day, I would think to write in my blog... or my thoughts somewhere. I have so many thoughts boggled up inside of me that I find necessary to keep note of.

I'm proud to say that I'm an adult now. After graduating college in May 2013, I've lounged around in my house and wasted money without income for around 2-3 months. Of course, it felt great being care-free, but sometimes I felt useless.

So at the end of August of 2013, I got hired for this internship that paid $9/hr. Why not? It was a start somewhere. It was a small startup company, and I was a little excited and nervous. They only told me they wanted me for 2 days for now. Sounds good to me. Work 2 days, rest 5 days. I later found out that I was actually on a mini trial. Kind of like, if she's good for the first 2 weeks, then we're gonna keep her. Sooooo... obviously I was awesome. They asked me to come in 3 days/week. I was fine with that as well. And then suddenly, this other intern that was working 3 half-days/week decided to disappear without a word. This is when they told me to take over her days, and eventually, I was working the same amount of time as a full time would.

It was pretty alright on my first 2-3 weeks, I believe. However, things got busy pretty quickly. I usually took off at around 5-5:30pm, but I found myself, an intern, staying behind til 6 or 6:30pm. Honestly, I felt like a little bitch at work. Basically, interns are bitches. But I was a good one they caught. Because I'm very passive in the work environment, and not a person who can say no. 'Hey, can you do this for me? Can you break down these boxes? Can you deliver these here? Can you stay a little later?' Yes, yes, yes and yes. I said yes to everything they asked me to do. Because, honestly, an intern is in no position to say no.

The shy and soft-spoken Daisy finally got a little more comfortable with the company and her colleagues. I worked hard and people actually acknowledged my efforts and that's what made me like it. In my past jobs, I felt like just another intern, and if I were to take a day or two off, it wouldn't make a difference. Anyway, as November came, I got a raise! Wooooo!! One whole dollar of a raise. It was a tiny difference, but I stayed optimistic. One dollar is better than no dollar. And it was within 2 months, so not too bad, Daisy.

Of course I've complained here and there to my friends, and they told me I was underpaid and it wasn't worth working here. By the end of December, I was asked to become full time. It wasn't too high of a pay, but I took it anyway. Since my full-time life, I would say, I am comfortable with where I'm at. Comfortable with the people I work with, and comfortable with the system of how things worked. I've cried, I've laughed, and I've hung out with my colleagues after work. These are what adults do when they work together, but sometimes much scarier than I imagined.

Being an adult means much more responsibility, and much more responsibility means much more stress. A regular day for me would be 9am - 6:30pm or later. But my workload is always incomplete and I always feel like, even if I can get off at 5 or 6pm, I have many things left hanging that I must deal with the next day or within the next week. It doesn't end. Like really. To take one thing off my over-filled plate feels really great, but somehow that spot just keeps refilling itself.

Lesson I'm learning: being an adult sucks. I spend most of week in the office (I even go in on the weekends sometimes), I have less time for my friends and myself, and as much as you're comfortable with the people you work with, sometimes you still gotta hold yourself back, and not get too comfortable. Plus, you're so exhausted from work, sometimes you just want to go home, be unsociable, and sleep. I don't know how I stayed up so late during my college days, but I just can't keep my eyelids from dropping anymore. Yes, it's scary, and I must sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment